Thursday, March 24, 2016

Helping the refugees in Istanbul



 Rafa Makovsky and I are on our way to
 share 
kebab sandwiches. 


During Oct. 2015, I had the opportunity to visit Istanbul for 10 days for a trip that was full of unique experiences and interesting political talks with Syrians refugees from all wings.

They were different in their political views, either pro or against Assad, and even people who turned out to be pro-government only after the civil war started because they were uncertain about the future in case the rebels get the power. Even with these differences, all of them share the same humanitarian crisis. I used a few days of my trip for volunteering in Istanbul's slums by helping Kurdish, Afghani and of course Syrian people.



I met this old man from Homs, Syria, in Fatih park. After about 2 hours of a very interesting conversation, the man thought I was a poor refugee from Palestine and insisted on sharing the food he had in his bag with me. When he opened the bag, I saw there were many dry crusts of bread that restaurants usually throw away. A moment of shock that makes me speechless! The man who was very grateful and kept saying that he was doing well in Istanbul and missing nothing turned out to be the opposite of what I had thought. He told me that he collected these crusts for his poor neighbors and not for himself. Maybe that was true but I guess he said that to keep his dignity. I tried to give him money, and only after I insisted and told him it was not for him but for his poor neighbors did he accept 100 Lira. His behavior reminded me of the verse in the Quran that describes the people who, out of dignity, don't ask people for help even if they are in need. [2:273]. It is [The charity] for the poor; those who are restrained in the way of God, and unable to travel in the land. The unaware would think them rich, due to their dignity. You will recognize them by their features. They do not ask from people insistently. Whatever charity you give, God is aware of it. [274]. Those who spend their wealth by night and day, privately and publicly, will receive their reward from their Lord. They have nothing to fear, nor shall they grieve.




All the people you see in the pictures (Syrian and Iraqi refugees) will later, all of them, enter this single white van parked on the side street that will take them to the southwestern shores of Turkey in their high-risk path to Europe...






Videos were recorded by Rafa Makovsky  in the Sulaymaniyah  area.


We were 4 volunteers from different countries: me, Anastasia Victoria (the originator -  from the UK), Rafa Makovsky (from Poland) and Reyna Paz (from Mexico). The videos are mainly recorded in a poor Kurdish neighborhood near Sulaymaniyah